Tuesday, March 27, 2012

History Repeats Itself

Funny how history repeats itself.  You remember being a little kid and your parents say something like "That 'new' dance ya'll younguns doin aint new! We did that back in the day.  What ya'll call steppin is what we called the charleston.  What ya'll call the kid n play we called mashed potatoes!"?? Ok, so maybe the conversation you remember didn't go quite like that, but you catch my drift, right?
Anyway, as I sit here sippin my cocoa cappucino, listening to Pat Benatar and
 writing to ya'll, I realize that lately I've been learning and relearning things at a lightening speed. It's like everything I've been through over the past few years is just now starting to make sense and things are connecting in my mind, making the circle complete. For instance, all the teenagers are break dancing hyping it like it's a new thing. Well, to them it is, but to me I'm reminded of Ozone and Turbo lol. Even now, listening to Pat Benatar's "Love Is A Battlefield" is like I'm hearing it for the first time...really hearing it.  As a kid, I just remember rockin out to the song cause it was bad ass and having no idea whatsoever what she was talking about. Now I understand and feel every word. I feel like I'm seeing everything for the second time around. This time with a totally different perspective.  As I've witnessed it before in another time, another place, another world as a bystander. Now, finally, I'm a participant. Like once watching a play from the audience and then next being the actress in that same play. Oh the difference a few hundred days makes!!
Funny thing is, the more I learn, the more I realize I don't know shit; except for those things that were already told to me as a child.  I just happen to understand them now.
http://youtu.be/CjY_uSSncQw

No comments:

Post a Comment