Monday, October 10, 2011

"Who Shot Rock N Roll?"...Art and Inspiration

As art inspires inspiration, I occasionally find myself seeking art at various museums.  Whenever I come across art, I usually can't help but stop, look and listen.  Recently, I went to the Birmingham Museum of Art's exhibit "Who Shot RockNRoll?" and saw some really great shots of artists throughout the decades.  The exhibit offers visitors a glimpse into the personalities and personas of entertainers of past and present.  You know the saying, a picure is worth a thousand words.  I found this to be true when looking at a lot of the pics on exhibit.  My thoughts..... Many of the photos capture the eccentricities of the artists they portray, all the specific and particular querks that draw the public to awe at them.  Other photos attempt to capture a sincere emotion, a rare look inside the heart of the individual. I was completely thrilled at one photo of Elton John in his shiny bell bottoms, both feet kicked up in the air with both hands remaining on the piano as if he were a spastic superman! I had no idea that Elton could get down like that!!  The Elton I've seen is laid back and reserved in nature.  I guess time has a way of chilling us all out!  Another photo I thought was pretty amazing if not completely self explanatory in its attempt to explain its subject, was the one of Tina Turner mid-dance move during one of her electric performances.  The photo is indeed electric with blurred images all around the main image, as if movement could echo.  It's like capturing her when she is speeding.  As if watching her is an electrifying dizzying experience! Dope indeed!!  (Would've included these photos, but museum security shut me down before I got to them lol) While I was staring at all of these perceptually charged pics, I couldn't keep a certain thought out of my mind.  "Do I look this weird sometimes too?" I mean, I'm just saying.  Being that I'm an artist as well, do I ever appear to be off my rocker to people? Um, probably, but who cares! I'm doing me.  So, I've attached a couple pics and video of my experience at the museum.  Oh, one other thing.  The marketing company behind the exhibit's party was on point!  They had 3 booths set up around the premises for guests to take FREE pics.  A very nice touch given the topic of the evening! Of course you know I've included the snapshots of "yours truly" *wink*:)  S/O to  Cool Shots Photo Booth!

No comments:

Post a Comment