Monday, October 17, 2011

...And A Child Shall Lead Them

As a child, I had a certain imagination about the world around me. I wondered at everything I saw, dragonflies, bees, the sky.  I used to believe I could make it stop raining by looking at the sky and praying long enough.  Little did I know summer rain never lasts that long in the first place:)
As we age, so do our perceptions.  Our perceptions of reality, of people, of places all shift and change, and then change again.  Part of me thinks that we already knew everything we needed to know as children, atleast innately.  We instinctively knew what was wrong, or what was right.  We instinctively felt a person's spirit.  We instinctively knew how to treat people, for the most part.  Our minds were an open book, for we had not yet learned what "impossible" meant.  We had no concept of it, actually.  Ever watched a child play and marvel at her/his ability to be in the moment?  Their ability to not occupy their minds with anything else except what they were doing at that exact moment?  When's the last time you were able to do that?
I used to read the verse "...and a child shall lead them" and not understand what it meant.  Now, I have a much better concept in mind.  When most people have children, it inspires them to become better people in order to give their children a brighter future.  In a sense, their children lead them.  They take one look at their
child(ren) and are lead to do better and do right in their pursuit of success.  On another note, maybe we ourselves are the children.  Well, we once were, and now our task is to look at the world the way we once did; through childlike eyes. Eyes that were believing and imaginative and had real vision.  Eyes that saw butterflies without thinking of their very short lives.  Eyes that focused on the bright lights, unkowing of the dark side.  Oh, what the world could be like, if we once again were led by the child inside!

No comments:

Post a Comment