Monday, September 19, 2011

This Music Business: Marketing 101

If you are an indy artist like myself, or working with an indy artist, then you are probably always searching for new knowledge and information on how to further your product. And sheesh! It's a lot of it out there.  The biggest challenge I'm facing now is not the WHAT but the HOW....How do I get the music out there?  Come to find out the HOW has a lot to do with the WHAT.  They are both connected.  If I have an intrinsic understanding of WHAT I'm pushing then that should help in guiding me on how to get it out there.  If WHAT I have is rap music, then who listens to the kind of rap music that I have?  If I can answer that, then I can figure out WHERE they are and HOW they hear the music they like.  Do they hear it at certain clubs or radio staions or websites? Etc.... So, once I answer these questions, I will hopefully know HOW to get the music out there.
Confused yet? LOL. Okay, so let's baby step this.  Marketing is simply a program for selling. A process that gets your music from the studio, to the iPods and CD players of the person who buys your music.
Now while that definition is simple enough, actually going about it can be a confusing and messy thing if it's not well thought out.  When you have a plan, it keeps you from deviating too much and getting lost in the music business "jungle". I so think "jungle" is a fitting word sometimes! lol  With all this being said, here is where I am....I am in the first stages of this "marketing process"....the music.  It all comes down to the music, or the product or whatever you want to call it.  Here's my dilemna, do I make music that has a certain sound and delivery because I know there are a whole lot of young girls out there who like that sound and who will buy it? Or do I remain a creative purist and do music that is strictly emotionally fitting and descriptive of me regardless of who may buy it or not.  Well, there are pros and cons to both sides.  Making music for an already defined audience will proably make creating a pipeline to that audience quicker and easier, resulting in probable sales.  Making music striclty from a creative place without the parameters of trying to please a particular group of people takes a lot more faith and patience in finding an audience for it and creating a pipeline to get the music to that audience. Here we have the gridlock that is as old as selling music itself. The balancing act of creativity and business.
Wouldn't it be ideal if an artist's natural delivery was in line with an already pre defined market? This is the "It Factor" at its finest. So, I'm an artist which makes me naturally inclined to creativity trumping all.  I believe that writing what you know and making music that is authentic is always the best way to go. I must admit however, that I do have a logical side in which I process things to help me make sense out of it all.  For me, ideally it would be about finding the perfect balance. Doing music that is true to my own personal style yet offers something to everyone.  This is every evolving artist's aspiration...atleast in my mind lol.  Answer this.....do you aim to make a lot of money for a phase while a particular taste is in fashion or do you aim to connect on a personal, emotional level with an audience who identifies with you and who probably always will? I do not think either is better than the other, just a matter of personal ambitions. Personally, I would find it a challenge trying to adopt a flava that is not my own and continue to stay in line with that over a period of time.  It seems to me that who I really am would eventually rise to the surface. So, if you're anything like me, your best bet may be to find someone or a company who is good at marketing and who also has a unique understanding of you and your music. It helps in getting the creativity to balance with the business if you have some objective input.  The best way to go about this is to be relentless in relationship building and put yourself and your music out there at every opportunity you get...that's how I did it.
Yeah, I know what you're thinking. I used to get frustrated when I'd ask a music business question and couldn't get a direct answer. I understand why now.  There is no set formula.  It's like this, "Peter" doesn't follow the exact same routine in the morning as "Paul" does in order to accomplish his daily goals.  The road to succes in the music business is a lot like this scenario. People are different and therefore take different paths to reach success.  Take comfort in knowing though that the basics are the same for everyone. You must have work ethic, product, marketing plan, and a relentless loving nature. HOW you do these things is really up to you! Oh, and remember to try to have fun along the way!!

No comments:

Post a Comment